Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Ikeatastic

Well yesterday, We spent the whole day in or in close proximity to Ikea. Now I only discovered Ikea about 2 years ago and immediately fell in love with the whole experience. It is generally quite cheap but tends to be relatively well made. Had not been for a while and was looking for a TV stand so I could try and control the spaghetti of wires and boxes that live in and around my TV. Am hoping that I will have it tamed by tomorrow. The thing about Ikea is that I suddenly get upset when I see a kitchen utensil priced over £5. This is unusual and anywhere else I would probably pay this, but because everything else is so cheap it seems overpriced :) Where else can you get 4 plug extensions for a couple of quid?
The same goes now for clothes shopping. Having been somewhat spoilt by my visits to the states, It seems crazy to buy something that is not reduced. Had to settle for a shop closing down and got a reduction from £60 to £18. Not bad. Even if I say so myself.
The other thing I love about Ikea is the free pencils. Now here is a question, How many "free" pencils can you take per visit before it is classed as stealing? We decided 10 was reasonable and were fine until JP had the Ikea bag with all the pencils in at the checkout and suddenly realised. Not wishing to draw attention to herself she tried to walk through with the bag and was promptly sent back. It was quite amusing. We then spotted a dispenser after the tills. Unfortunately, the security guy was stood right there. How annoying. I didn't feel like I could boldly walk up and start filling my pockets. So had to wait. It felt like I was doing some major covert police operation but the sad fact is that Ikea probably do not audit there pencils that closely. You may be wandering why I would want the pencils in the first place. Well I can hand them out to all those kids who manage to forget theirs on a daily basis at school. Easy to spot and very cost effective should they end up being smuggled out of the class. Everyone is a winner.
One question we have about Ikea, is why are people so keen on their meatballs? No matter when we go large number of people are eating them? What's all the fuss about? Do let me know.


Now, on to my awating computer. This is sadly already deviating from being straightforward. Was sent an Email last week whether I would accept an alternative component. I agreed as it made little difference. I heard no news so thought I would email this week to be told they were still waiting for me to respond. How bizzare. This could be the start of an epic.

Right, I am off to unpack my Ikea purchases (all those things I did not know I needed till yesterday and now feel I could not live without).

Argy

3 Comments:

At 2:38 AM, Blogger x said...

No idea what they see in meatballs. In
our IKEA (athens) we throw them at each other. Same thing with the green pastries. Are these Shrek's delicacies?

 
At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just passing through. i LOVE ikea furniture and would buy every ikea thing in sight if they were readily available in the philippines! i definitely know where you're coming from!

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

I know you probably don't blog anymore because you are so busy, but I just came across this by accident and, I have to tell you, I think it's a shame. You have such an entertaining way of writing, I'd love to see more of it. In fact, I think you ought to look into professional writing opportunities. As a teacher, this should not be too difficult for you.

Good luck with the new job. We'd love to hear about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home